Thursday 20 July 2017

NBN and other things..

I survived the changeover from ADSL to NBN, so now this blogg is coming to you courtesy of the much maligned National Broadband Network. The changeover was surprisingly smooth despite a false start because the technician claimed he couldn't access the 'box' because of surrounding shrubbery. However I really haven't noticed that much of a difference in speed which is surprising. I understand there have been many complaints about this.

I've been working on "the other side" of my Barra Town layout which is now known as "Barra West".



Construction of the S008 silo is underway but like all these projects is going slowly.

As you can see in the photo I've also added a back scene using a 'panorama' type photo from the interweb. Generally the scenery on this side will be much "yellower" (is there such a word?) than the town side, to highlight the fact that this is wheat growing country.  I've cheated a little by printing the panorama twice, the second printing in reverse. Double the length! I first tried this on my Ga Hong Ha layout with great success. A few trees up against the scene and you won't be able to tell. Honest!

While I'm using the AMRM articles to build the silo as reported in the last blog, it is significantly 'simplified' due to being in N Scale rather than the article's HO. I don't think this will be that much of a problem.


I've also been fiddling around with the Barra Town Station. I've added very fine sandpaper to the platform surface to represent sand and a fence along the back of the platform plus Kerroby flourescent lights (non-working). I still have to detail the station building and fit more permanently. I've added a couple of people on the platform with more to follow as well. The seats still have to be glued to the platform. Will they be blue or green? Haven't decided yet, probably blue. There's a dreaded yellow line to go on the platform as well so please keep behind it won't you?

I've also started scratchbuilding a GHG guards van as I'm very short of guard's vans. I only have one, a KHG. I know models are available from several sources but I quite like scratchbuilding even if they take more time.

As I write this the latest (July) issue of N Scale Modeller (NSM 30) has been released. If you're not into modular layouts there's not a lot to view apart from some reviews. It also directs modellers to a paint equivelant tool, though when I had a look it seemed little more than an advertisement for Railey Paints. Not that I've got anything gets this particular brand, but some alternatives using more easily available paints might be useful.

Here's a bit of the 'prototype' which might be of interest. When I was at the tram museum they had this PMG telephone box.




 I'm sure it would make an interesting project. Brought back many memories from the 50's and 60's when not so many people had private telephones. Can't provide dimensions but I'm sure rough dimensions can be worked out.

That's it for this time. You'd be surprised just how busy life can be even when you've retired.

Until next time, happy modelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment